Return to main Focus Area Information page.
Program and Service Delivery
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is committed to service excellence in the delivery of all of its programs. The OPS strives to meet the needs of citizens in a cost-effective and efficient manner. In fact, Ontario is recognized both nationally and internationally for innovation in program and service delivery. With a vast range of program and service offerings across the province, the OPS continuously improves on the delivery of our programs and services for all Ontarians.
As a program and service delivery intern, you will have the opportunity to be part of a team focused on delivering better programs and quality services. Your work may include reviewing programs, researching service delivery models, analyzing current service delivery processes and recommending improvements, assisting in consulting program stakeholders on program improvements and supporting plans to ensure quality services and customer satisfaction.
Assignments will be located in regional and operational offices and will be especially appealing to those interested in applying a well-rounded approach to the development and implementation of program and service delivery initiatives in the OPS.
Program and Service Delivery applicants should pay particular attention to which ministries and offices are located in their preferred work location as this is a key consideration when matching successful applicants to their placements and will also determine the nature of work in the placement. Visit Info-Go to browse information on Government of Ontario offices by location. To search by city, click on the "Offices" tab and use the name of the city as the keyword.
- Business-Planning: identify key business objectives and goals for the organization, considering the variety of factors that impact the organization and establishing goals that account for those factors
- Project Implementation: understand and apply project planning frameworks, tools and best practices that support successful outcomes/performance optimization
- Evaluation: determine the effectiveness of a service or program based on existing practices, systems, and/or policies
- Process Improvement: identify and implement changes in work processes that can be expected to produce measurable enhancements
- Analytical: identify trends and relevant themes to support the development of user-focused and evidence-based findings and recommendations
- Collaboration: work with others across the organization to identify and solve a problem or achieve a common goal that is mutually beneficial
- Communication: present information using traditional and/or digital media in a clear, concise and accurate manner through effective written, oral and visual communication
- Client Focused: anticipate and identify client needs to respond and provide better services with a goal of maximizing client satisfaction. Customers and clients may include the public, colleagues, partners, and peers
- Problem-Solving: recognize, understand and resolve a problem by breaking it apart into smaller pieces, and evaluating options and identifying alternative solutions. This also includes the ability to blend robust analysis with creativity to solve new and changing problems, as well as challenging the status quo where appropriate
- Relationship Management: build and maintain strong working relationships with clients, stakeholders, partners and colleagues while demonstrating respect, ethics and extending trust in order to achieve organizational goals
- Research: ascertain relevant questions/concerns about the identified topic and determine the most appropriate method(s) to acquire the knowledge and or information needed to address, as fully and accurately as possible, those questions/concerns
- Planning and Coordinating: prioritize tasks and manage competing priorities to effectively manage time in order to meet deadlines.
What to Expect
As a program and service delivery intern, your work could include:
- Participating in development of standards, processes, methods, benchmark techniques and performance measures to ensure the efficient delivery of programs and services to stakeholders
- Assisting in processes, risk assessments and program evaluation to develop options for program improvements
- Reviewing the quality and accessibility of publicly-available program information and recommending improvements
- Working in a team-based environment on project-planning and implementation activities related to research, needs assessments and service delivery
- Conducting research and analysis, developing recommendations, preparing papers/reports to improve programs and their efficiency
- Consulting stakeholders, such as program managers, ministry staff and/or other jurisdictions, to discuss how program and service functions, business practices and related processes can be improved while maintaining ongoing business relationships
- Analyzing how well programs and services meet established operational goals and service standards
- Assessing the impact of new or revised operational policies, systems, and procedures on program and service delivery using customer satisfaction surveys and process reviews
- Preparing briefing materials, planning documents and reports to support ongoing programs and services.
This is just the beginning of your career in the Ontario Public Service. An internship in this area can prepare you for a career as a/an:
- Program/Project Advisor
- Program/Project Analyst
- Program/Project Consultant
Return to main Focus Area Information page.